A picture for your thoughts

I bought my first digital camera in June 2004 at Fry's store somewhere near Palo Alto, CA. Since then I’m pretty sure that I have taken over 10,000 photographs. There have been numerous occasions where I have needed to choose the  best pictures of a particular set, either categorised by event (birthdays) or by location (Great Wall). In either circumstance, it has been pretty easy since there really is no limitation on the number of photos that I can pick and choose. Even then, it is hard to decide what stays in and what, figuratively, hits the cutting room floor. I had never even thought of my ‘5 Best Travel Pictures’.. until I saw the contest from BlogAdda for the 5 best travel photographs


First, as the TV industry says, here’s a quick word from our sponsors
pringoo

Normally, I do not take part in most contests mainly because I like to write about travel and travel related stuff and most contests are not travel specific. However, with this BlogAdda contest supported by Pringoo.com I have the added incentive to participate and shoot off an entry and may be win a cool mug or tee :D. More importantly, this really made me think hard and long about how I would go around selecting my favourite pictures as of here and now. Choosing these pictures have been quite intense, since I had to go back to the moment when I framed the shot and think about why that angle, what was around me what did I feel, what did I hear ?

Morning has broken…
The magic of an early twilight  accentuates the gentle rolling mists above the fields  of Malnad. The call of the cuckoo heralds a beautiful day as I prepare to summit Kudremukh. I will admit it : I have a thing for mountains. I love the crisp air and the views of the plains and valleys below. I love the fact that I can fantasize about reaching out at a cloud and grabbing a handful like a child would at cotton candy.



Floating bridges of bamboo
The highlight of Yangshuo has to be the Lijiang river and the incredible karst formations that tower up like natural sky scrapers. The incredibly beautiful  journeys and the accompanying scenery, cannot be experienced  without the efforts of the boatmen who deftly steer their roughly strung together bamboo rafts down the river



Highest Dirt Track in the World
On the Manali – Leh highway, somewhere past Sarchu Valley, lies a great dusty plane about 40 kilometres long. As we race past the great mountains that envelope this dusty bowl where just low shrubs and lichen grow, we suddenly come past a caravan of dirt bikers kicking up the loose gravel as they make their annual pilgrimage to Leh. Truly,  watching a Moto-cross at those altitudes MUST be quite something !



The Majesty of the Forbidden City
The Forbidden City in Beijing was out of bounds for the commoners for hundreds of years until it was opened to the public. Though it has seen extensive repairs and restoration work, it maintains a quiet sense of domination over Beijing and is the centre of a vast and vibrant city.



Misty Mountain Tops
The mountains of HuangShan are the perfect mountains. Peeking out of the clouds, seducing poets, artists and photographers alike with their mystic allure, leaving you to wonder what the mists cover and how little they reveal. Located in Anhui province and few hours bus ride must be experienced in all four seasons and every type of weather. Spring for the lovely blossoms, Summer for the clear views around, Fall for the vibrant yellows, Winter for the white tops and pine trees drooping, laden with snow and Rain for the fascinating mist that envelopes everything.

Trampled byY Trip at Tuesday, June 01, 2010

12 comments:

attiDuDe said... June 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

Nice pictures !! The one from Sarchu valley is awesome!

Anonymous said... June 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

Loved your pictures. The child in me wants to go and grab a piece of the cloud as well!
Oh and great patterns on the bamboo rafts!
And WOW at the past Sarchu Valley picture! WOW!

Swaram said... June 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

I luv 3 and 4! Gud luck :)

Rajesh said... June 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

Beautiful images. Very lovely set.
All the best.

My Travel Photos

AD said... June 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

Great collection! The Ladakh capture is simply stunning. Good luck.

Y Trip said... June 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

@attiDuDe++ : Thanks !!! that pic was, believe it or not, from a moving vehicle

@talkreviews : go ahead, grab them they're yours for the taking :D

@Swaram thanks! keep visiting !

@Rajesh: Thanks.. I liked your blog too !

@AD : Thanks for the encouragement! keep visiting :)

sharmila said... June 3, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

wOw ... every pic is amazing n colorful ... best of luck :)

Rohini said... June 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

Interesting photos..One of the better entries :)

Nisha said... June 6, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

I specially liked the 2nd picture. Beautifully captured. :-)

All the best for the contest.

Y Trip said... June 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

@Sharmila thanks!

@Rohini So nice of you to say that!
I was actually quite apprenesive sine there are so many people with more experience and better cameras ( I use a run of the mill Canon point and shoot)

@Nisha Thanks.. thats one of my favourites too.. all I did from the original was crop it a bit to exclude some power/telephone lines that had crept in .. and a little bit of colour correction, too I think.

Radha said... June 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Lovely images there :) Good luck for the contest!

Y Trip said... June 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

@Radha

Thanks.. I didn't win.. but it was nice sifting through old pictures !

Post a Comment